The Army has prepared a Record of Decision (ROD) that addresses military munitions (i.e., munitions and explosives of concern [MEC], specifically unexploded ordnance [UXO] and discarded military munitions [DMM]) that potentially remain at the former Fort Ord in the Group 4 Munitions Response Area (MRA). Group 4 includes the Future East Garrison MRA, where munitions response (munitions removal) has already been completed. The Future East Garrison MRA is approximately 252 acres and is located in the northeast portion of the former Fort Ord. Remedial investigation activities and removal actions were performed on the Future East Garrison MRA. Additionally, a Residential Quality Assurance (RQA) Implementation Study was conducted as a munitions removal verification and quality assurance action.
This decision document presents the selected final remedial action for the Group 4 MRA to manage the risk to future land users from MEC that potentially remain in the MRA. The final remedy for the Group 4 MRA was selected in accordance with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) of 1980, as amended by the Superfund Amendment and Reauthorization Act.
The selected remedy consists of the following Land Use Controls:
• Military munitions recognition and safety training for workers who will conduct ground-disturbing or intrusive activities;
• Construction support to manage the risk associated with the potential presence of military munitions for ground-disturbing or intrusive activities;
• Access management measures in areas designated for habitat reserve;
• Restrictions prohibiting residential use in areas designated for non-residential development reuse or for habitat reserve; and
• Restrictions against inconsistent uses (applicable to habitat reserve areas).
The United States Environmental Protection Agency approved the ROD on September 21, 2018. The California Department of Toxic Substances Control had an opportunity to review and comment on the ROD and its concerns were addressed.
This Record of Decision (Administrative Record number ESCA-0360) and other related documents are available online at www.fortordcleanup.com. Click here to go to the Record of Decision.
For further information, please contact Fort Ord Community Relations Office at (831) 393-1284. Para más información o para solicitar una copia en español, por favor póngase en contacto con la Oficina de Relaciones de la Comunidad de Fort Ord (831) 393-1284.