The Army has two areas on the former Fort Ord planned for prescribed burning in 2018:
- Unit 31 which is in the Impact Area
- Unit A which is located in the northern portion of the Fort Ord National Monument
These areas are required to be burned to encourage successful recovery of the rare, threatened and endangered fire-dependent species and facilitate in the munitions cleanup program.
If you register for the Direct Notification Program, the Army will notify you via email, text, or by an automated telephone message that:
- a prescribed burn could occur shortly (within a day or two),
- when the prescribed burn is started, and
- when the burn is complete.
The 325 acre Unit 31 is in the Impact Area — not accessible to the public — and was prepared for a prescribed burn in 2017 and is planned for burning in 2018. The 103 acre Unit A, in the northern portion of the Fort Ord National Monument, is also being prepared for a prescribed burn in 2018. Both of these areas (Units 31 and A) may be burned, provided appropriate conditions are available, after July 1, 2018.