The following Work Notice has been posted on behalf of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
FORMER FORT ORD – UNIVERSITY VILLAGES
WORK BEGINNING: May 4, 2020
The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has approved the Removal Action Workplan (RAW) for the former Fort Ord – University Villages Parcel, located in Monterey, California 93923 (Site). The Site encompasses approximately 30 acres of the north portion of the Site. Environmental investigations conducted at the Site in 2005 indicate that near surface soils have been impacted by lead based paint. Details for the planned activities are provided below. The work will begin on May 4, 2020 and is expected to be completed within 120 days of implementation.
The initial steps for implementation, including identifying underground utilities, will be followed by clearing and digging of the area to remove vegetation. The vegetation will be managed as green waste and will be stockpiled on a portion of the Site outside the work area. The green waste will be managed with other green waste generated during grading activities.
Dust and noise-generating work involving the use of any kind of electric, diesel fuel, or gasoline-powered machine or other power equipment will be limited to the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Construction activities will be prohibited on Sundays and federal holidays.
Prior to the start of groundbreaking work, mobilization of equipment and removal of above ground features, including shrubs, may occur.
• Approximately 2,500 cubic yards of lead impacted soil will be excavated from the Site.
• Excavated soil will be temporarily stored in covered stockpiles on site before being transported by trucks to a licensed landfill for disposal. Soil may be left on site for a short period of time until approval from the landfill is received, but in no case shall it be left for over 90 days.
• Air monitoring and dust suppression activities will be completed during work to help prevent airborne dust contamination.
• Trucks will be inspected, and truck beds will be covered prior to leaving the Site with excavated soil.
INFORMATION REPOSITORIES: The RAW, along with other site-related documents, is available at the following locations:
Seaside Branch Library
Monterey County Free Libraries
550 Harcourt Avenue
Seaside, California 93955
(831) 899-2050; Call for hours
Monterey County Planning Dept.
168 West Alisal Street, 3rd Floor
Salinas, California 93901
(831) 755-5025; Call for hours
DTSC – Sacramento Office
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, California 95826
(916) 255-3758; Call for appointment
Or online: http://www.envirostor.dtsc.ca.gov/public/.
Project contact information is below.