EVENT: Guided Nature Walk Inside the Impact Area
DATE: Saturday, May 6, 2017
TIME: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
AGES: Minors must bring a parent or have a signed Waiver. Not recommended for children under the age of 8.
Interested in seeing future lands of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) at Fort Ord? Consider joining the Fort Ord Cleanup and BLM staff in a nature walk around that are currently being cleared of ordnance and explosives.
We have scheduled two walking/hiking tours of cleared areas within our Impact Area.
Estimated time for hikes:
- 2 hours for the shorter route (1.5 miles)
- 3 hours for the longer route (3 miles)
To ensure that your experience is enjoyable, please remember:
- For all hikes, wear boots or sturdy walking shoes appropriate for dirt and gravel roads.
- Dress in layers. The weather can be unpredictable. No matter what season it is, be prepared for rain, wind, fog, or sun.
- Carry ample water to drink.
- Restrooms will be available at the parking lot, but not available during the hike. Please plan accordingly.
- Dogs (except service animals) are not allowed.
- This activity is not recommended for participants under the age of 8
WEATHER: Adverse weather (for example lightning, heavy rain) will cancel, but call the Fort Ord Community Relations Office at 831-393-1284 or check the news section of www.FortOrdCleanup.com if in doubt.
To Make a Reservation
Call the Fort Ord Community Relations Office at (831) 393-1284 or send an e-mail to Melissa.M.Broadston.firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of each participant. Then arrive at the tour departure location (BLM Work Center) no later than 9:45 a.m. on May 6. 2017 for the safety briefing. Please note, it is 20 minute drive to the BLM Work Center from the Highway 1 exit at Lightfighter.
We’ll take a 30-minute bus ride into the Impact Area followed by the nature walk. You have permission to drive your private vehicle to the BLM HQ office for this specific event.